Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hair Essentials - Best Flat Irons for Black Natural Hair

With the funeral of my old flat iron, the search for a new flat iron became the inevitable. I started my search last week, but the information I found today about flat irons was so helpful! Read this article:

http://www.misikko.com/true-flat-iron.html

In short, the article stated that neutral energy is natural. The best types of flat iron plates to use are ceramic plates because they produce negative ions with helps in keeping the follicle of the hair closed and smoothing hair since heat opens the follicles making it dry and brittle. Of course 100% cermaic plates are VERY expensive. The plates with the layers of ceramic covering can be useful and much cheaper if the plates remain unchipped. The issue is that after plates become chipped, the under layers of the plates are exposed to hair and since the underlayers are made of cheap material it is no good for the hair. Now, titanium and tourmaline boosts the the output given by the cermaic flat irons. Also, for thicker hair, using flat irons that are 1 1/2 & up is better for straightening. Perhaps, that's why my straightener was so awesome, because it was about 1 3/4 if not bigger. I still miss her. The video is nice to watch too
I would suggest saving the link and reading it in your spare time. The information was sooooo useful. In addition to that, they added a list of flat irons to use:

http://www.misikko.com/best-flat-iron.html

One thing they do make clear in here it to DEEP CONDITION your hair, people. I am going to do a video on deep conditioning, just do it so it helps with keeping your hair moisturized. Yes, i know, i know, it's time consuming, but you can moisturize/deep condition ur hair at work. Tips to come!

After my search, I am down to the following options:

1. Corioliss Classic Pro 1" flat Iron for approx $89.99 (Reviews are great on this specific flat iron)
2. Corioliss Wide Flat Iron 1 3/4 " for approx $159.00

3. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Straightening Iron ($89.95)  http://www.amazon.com/BaBylissPRO-BABNT2094T-Nano-Titanium/dp/B001UHN0JA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1332868056&sr=1-1-fkmr1

OR....

4. Revlon Perfect Heat Nano Silver Straightener  (56.99) (tee, hee, hee) i found a revlon, not the same, but if something works, why switch it up, right? The shaps is a bit awkward than i'm used to, but we'll see i saw other ones that were about the same price, and width.

Oh wait, before I forget, they even have a link on how to flat iron your natural hair:

http://www.misikko.com/flat-iron-black-hair.html

Here are the pics of my pressed:

Before and After pictures...pressing my natural hair is such a chore. It's all about how well your hair is dried. That makes all the difference. The first picture is after I have blown it out with a hair dryer without a rolling brush, then pressed with an old school ironing comb...then I pressed it out. I was in a rush so this is me driving with my after look that was completed the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Used my corioliss the other day and my hair didn't feel burned. It is still a nice healthy press even with Hurricane Sandy passing. I hadn't pressed my hair in awhile so I went through it with a hot comb first, then I defined curls with my corioliss after my trim. It's really pretty. Pictures to come!

    ReplyDelete