Monday, February 10, 2014

Steam Treatment

Yesterday was such a very busy day for me. I had a hair appointment where I styled someone's hair in Marley twists, had to deal with car issues and finally do my hair. I was happy I was recently given a hair steamer which doubles as a face steamer to help moisturize my hair.



I happily set it up and used this opportunity to trim my hair. This is what I did.


Steam treatment plus trim:

1. Cleanse hair and scalp thoroughly with Wen cleansing conditioner.

2. Comb out hair into 6-8 sections and twist each section while conditioner was still in hair.

3. Untwist each section and rinse conditioner out thoroughly and re-twist. Repeat until all twists have been rinsed out thoroughly. Start from the top of your head. ( no sense in starting in the back if the conditioner from the top twists are going to run down to the back of the head and remain there if not rinsed out again.)

4. Towel dry by loosely wrapping towel around dripping twists.

5. Prepare steamer, remove towel and replace with plastic cap and sit under steamer for treatment. I didn't use any conditioners or anything this time around. I wanted to create a baseline.

6. Untwist each hair and moisturize with Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie followed with jojoba oil. I used. Jojoba oil instead of my usual JBCO because they both work well but I wanted a less heavy oil in my hair to avoid build up on my scalp.

7. Re-twist sections into smaller twists making sure to comb out each section with a big tooth comb first and then going over with a small tooth comb.

8. Trim every end of each twist and cover all twists with satin cap.

Though I am aware of different steam treatments, I wanted to try using the steamer without adding any moisturizers to get a baseline for how my hair responds to the steamer sans conditioning products. Next month I will try it again with one of my deep conditioning recipes and see how that works. Of course I will post results as always.

What types of conditioning treatments have you done? Do you find that a steamer is useful? And if so, how? Let me know your thoughts. I love it when you share them. Follow me on IG @lofanaturalista for current pic on protective styles, updos and other haircare.

MuAh & Ciao//// Embrace Your Natural 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment