Monday, November 12, 2018

Create Running Goals (Part 1)


Who hates to run? A lot of people. I have come to enjoy running. I used to run track and field in elementary. Yes, a time in my childhood when running was considered regular outside play. Today, those memories help to motivate me to keep running.
The need to run and not become weary or faint became an almost obsessive thought. How could people like Lance Armstrong and other athletes ride a bike or run for miles and make it look easy. Well, they condition themselves. All that was needed was to identify a small goal that could be accomplished. Initial goal: run at any speed for 5 minutes straight without stopping. Once that was met, I made note of the distance. From there, I wanted to increase the distance but not before I could run for 10 minutes at any ‘running pace’ without stopping. I also recorded distance there and compared the two results. I realized a few things during this process:

1.    I ate too recently before my workout and felt a little sick to my stomach. 
2.    I really don’t like running on a treadmill with no music.
3.    Running can be very boring.
4.    I must look pathetic running for a few minutes and feeling out of breath.

However, I was more motivated to reach my starter running goals. And though I was not running as fast as others were in the gym, I felt good to have accomplished a goal that I set. It was a first for me. Sometimes you think you may be able to do something or not but while doing it, you feel like giving up. Remember this: do not give up. This run is YOUR RUN. No one can take this away from you. You are the only person standing in your way. 

I remember repeatedly telling myself by marker 30 seconds in... ‘just keep moving. You can run for 30 more seconds and if you must, you can stop and start over.’
Encourage yourself and keep reading for more updates on my running goals and other lifestyle news. 

Mrs. LinneĆ” Willis, LCPC, LPC

No comments:

Post a Comment