Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hair Essentials - Deep Conditioning Treatment

So last night I decided to do a deep conditioning treatment to continue with the repairing of my "frayed ends". I used cantu leave-in conditioner, honey, olive oil and i added the hair repair olive oil thing.... :-/ next time i won't use that hair repair thing. I don't know why I keep adding stuff to my already amazing deep conditioning recipe. It wasn't completely awful to use.

What I did was wet my hair first and spread the mixture from root to tip, massaginging it into my hair and scalp...then i put on a plastic cap and sat under my hooded dryer for about 20 minutes to let all that marinate in there. Yes, i said marinate. It felt....okay...not as good as it felt yesterday, but water is always the best moisturizer...so I rinsed the treatment out with warm water and used the rest of my awesome cowash by As I Am, added jojoba oil and rinsed with warm water again. i used a wide tooth comb to untangle my hair (wait, have i mentioned that untangling my hair has been the easiest thing I have had to do the past few months?) Consider it mentioned, if I hadn't. My hair felt very clean...but still not as moisturized on the ends of my hair as I would like it to be.

So, after I got out the shower, I searched and destroyed any fairy knots and split ends that I could find and moisturized with JC Solutions Moisturizer and Nature's Best grease. Right before I parted my hair in a big sections (which later became for big sections) I put Jamaican Castor Oil drectly on the ends of my hair, then worked from the root to tip and pulled sections of my hair out and twisted. My hair is a little longer now, so instead of using small twists, I went to medium-small twists. Here's a pic from my whack phone.


I didn't glam it up or anything, just put the twists in my hair and pulled it back by twisting the twists around each other and secured with a pin near the center of my head. Then, I repeated that for the other side. I attempted to take the pic of one side so you can see how it was pinned. My hair is dried now, but still is bouncy. I can tell when my hair is portraying traits of normal porosity when I can pull my twists and it bounces back to it's place. If you pull it and it sags and is dry, you have low porosity, if you pull it and it sag and lays limp and feels mushy, it's high porosity. Remember: Treat low porosity hair with moisturizing treatment and treat high porosity hair with protein treatments.





Don't forget the ways to seal in moisture. Read old posts about porosity and sealing in moisture to maintain normal porosity. It's a struggle for me. I go between low porosity and normal. One false move and my hair will display low porosity qualities....ie...the fraying of the ends for example. Taking care of natural hair is a process. What i'm slowly learning is that when preparing for something really nice, you should begin prepping your hair for it vs waiting until the day of th event to get things going unless you plan on spending hours on end in your hair to "do" your hair all the way from conditioning...it's difficult, but I have done it before. This last time I wasn't super successful, but the do still looks cute in my opinion. Here's that pic I spoke about a couple days ago.


Can't see it all, but you catch the drift. It was still pretty cute to me. My beau's kinda nice too. Tee hee. He got Noooo hair care worries, lol.

Anyhoot, live on purpose people. I'm feeling inspired today.
MuAh & CiAo!

No comments:

Post a Comment