Friday, January 04, 2013

Hair Essentials - Chinese Bumps Styling (knobs styling)

I did another style over the weekend...last weekend that is. It's really simple too. I co-washed with the Cleansing Conditioner from Wen (I'm trying out the Wen products for my mother. I'm her guinea pig apparently) and then I put JCO (Jamaican Castor Oil) in it to seal moisture in hair.

Prep Time: Putting hair into Chinese bumps 30-60mins (took me almost 30 minutes after cowashing hair)
Style Time: 30 mins
Step 1: Pull sections of hair and twist around with fingers and roll the hair around the base. (your hair would usually begin the spiral by itself if you have twisted the hair with your thumb and pointer finger creating a "base" and then you can wrapt he rest of the hair around it) Secure with a small rubber band
protective styling

Step 2: Repeat step until the entire head is covered with chinese bumps (I put my satin cap on and went to bed. I actually wore my hair in this style for 2 days under a beanie so I can have the fresh chinese bump curls over the weekend)

Step 3: Undo chinese bump by removing the rubber band and/or turning the chinese bump the opposite direction that it was wrapped it. That would loosen the chinese bump and make it easier to remove rubber band without damaging hair.

Step 4: Separate the chinese bumps into 2-5 sections depending on how much hair was in that chinese bump or to create the curls the thickness you'd like it to be. (I separated mine about 3 times per chinese bump)

Step 5: Pull curls on one side of your hair and secure with a pin, making certain to pin the end of the curls under the hair so that the ends are secured.

I sprayed  a little bit of Wen's replenishing spray in hair and pulled on the curls to help loosen them up a little bit.

This style lasted me the entire weekend. It's a difficult style to maintain. At nights you have to put the hair back into chinese bumps. You can comb your hair out and use light moisturizer or replenishing spray to put fresh chinese bumps in your hair, or you can just take sections of hair and put into about 15 chinese bumps making sure to secure ends properly. I had to call this style quits after about 5 days. by Day 5, the curls were not as tight, but I was getting worried that I wasn't doing a great job of securing my ends.

This style is definitely not long-term wear, but it's definitely cute. This is not a style to do if you want your length to show. At least not in the first day or two of rocking this do. Any questions, feel free to ask. I've done other chinese bumps styles as well. Check those out in my other posts.

Live on Purpose in 2013! MuAh & CiAo!