Friday, September 27, 2013

Hair Essentials - Natural Hair Care Regimen

Good morning! I'm in a really great mood today, even though I was unable to workout this morning because I went to bed pretty late, BUT that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to talk about my natural hair care regimen. This is exciting because I have made past posts about natural hair updos, braided styles and protective styling, but I have not done a reflection post on what has been working. So here goes:


1. The onion wash (used only twice) & rosemary inclusion in every other wash has proven to be beneficial in hair growth (my hair does not feel stagnated at the same length) FINALLY!

2. I have found that I am a Wen girl! The Wen conditioning cleanser works well in helping my hair feel moisturized and lush. THE BIG BUT is the cost of the product and having to find a replacement for it when I'm finished with my second kit :-( very sad news, but I am up for the challenge and I'm glad you will be with me as I explore finding a cost efficient product for cleansing my mane

3. Trims, cuts, etc. I found that every 6-8 wks I trim my hair UNLESS (and this is important) my ends seem healthy. I put an alarm in my phone that reminded me that it was time to trim my hair about a week or two ago, but my hair was fine and didn't need to be trimmed overall.

Hint: I DO cut split ends and fairy knots as I see them, I DO NOT WAIT until trim/cut day

4. Twists has proven to be a very successful way to keep my hair moisturized and even though I may have HIH moments by myself or others, this protective style has been proven helpful in avoiding fairy knots. So winning!

5. I do deep condition my hair every other wash. There were a couple times where I went 2 wks before washing my hair, but I still kept up with the every other deep conditioning treatment during the wash. WHAT DID I USE TO DEEP CONDITION? The Wen re-plenish moisturizing conditioner...this product will also need to be replaced by a cost efficient product. So stay tune for that as well.

6. My winter regimen and summer regimen were pretty identical. I did oil my hair more in the winter I found and needed less JCO in the summer. I also used coconut oil in my roots and over the months this has proven to be helpful in keeping my hair shiny, but I still am staying away from using it as a sealant. JCO works for me, so no need to switch it up. I use Coconut Oil as I would grease (Current grease I use is Nature's Best and can be found at Yes! Organic Market)

7. I found an AMAZING moisturizer for my 3c-4b natural hair. Leave my hair texture alone! My hair has different personalities. But be that as it may, the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a dream come true! I have used the Curly Cream too, but that leaves a more sticky like residue and doesn't work as well in maintaining the moisture in my hair. Shea Moisture can be found in Target, FYI. They have soooo many products, but as I am not really a product junkie, I haven't tried everything, nor do I intend to, lol. I just use what works. I only change products if it's to expensive to maintain or if it doesn't work or stops working. Keep it simple, you know.

8. Mr. Hicks for slicking them edges and not hardening my hair comes in as a winner for edge control! I love this product. After applying, just put a scarf to hold hair in place and all fuzzies will be laid to rest. Amen! lol

So, here I am with at least an inch of RETAINED growth, because even though my hair grows ever so slightly, it's RETAINING the growth that has become an issue. I think I have passed the point to where my hair usually tapers off and I'm enjoying being beyond that point. Time to continue cracking that ceiling and aim for the heavens. Do you have any other "must have' products? Tell me what works well in your hair (store bought product, preferably) that is cost efficient and has a lot of BANG for it's BUCK. I'd love to hear about it.I really enjoy my natural and I hope you do too!

Our Natural is Beautiful! MuAh & CiAo! Follow me at @livlyhood on twitter and IG.