Monday, November 03, 2014

Real Talk - The Mind and Abuse

This post has nothing to do with hair or skin or nails....but it has to do with the mind in a round about way. This is a huge peak into my life, but somehow i felt compelled to share this.

Let me begin by saying I attended a Women's Retreat this weekend and had a beautiful time as expected and anticipated. Lots of things were discussed, but one of the nuggets I took away dealt with generational curses...If you know what they are, skip to the next paragraph. If you don't read on. Generational curses are things that has been brought on your family as a burden to bear. For instance, your family may be riddled with cancer. You may have several members of the family that may develop different cancers...some may live, some may die. Another example of a generational curse is cheating/lying. Sometimes we become so comfortable with our generational curse that they may not be dealbreakers for us in a relationship. Let's take the last example for instance. If I am accustomed to my family cheating or know of several women in my family that has been cheated on, it may be eaasier for me to date someone who is cheating on me. Somehow, I may have become hardwired to become comfortable with that.

While some generational curses may be huge, others are not so much. I remember dating a guy (not my current bf who is a sweetie pie with a cherry on top and would prob be embarassed at the thought that I'm even mentionining these sweet nothings) who was abusive. Abuse comes in many forms...physical, verbal, emotional/mental and even spiritual. I can't go into them all because I'm at work and this is supposed to be short :-) But the guy I dated was mentally/emotionally abusive. The way he targeted me and got into my head was interesting. He would say all these things because he felt that if we were dating I was supposed to do certain things for him (ie. cook for him, give him my car to use, answer my phone at any hour he calls, etc.) Granted those things don't seem like much, but that's how it starts. I can be a firecracker at times *kanye shrug* sue me and so I would speak my mind. However, that wasn't acceptable...he would punish me by saying he won't spend time with me. He would tell me he couldn't reward me with a date because I said something or did something he didn't like. (ie. hang out with my coworkers after work, or hanging out with my girls on weekends, or going to church events, etc.) He expected me to go to my apt from work and stay put until he had otherwise said and if he was coming over to hang out, I needed to cook and if I didn't cook, he would tell me how much of a terrible woman I was. I dealt with it for awhile and NO i didn't go out of my way to cook for him because I wasn't going to tolerate all of that, but clearly i tolerated it enough to continue to date him. He would call me at work and not want me to disconnect because he thought I would be taking someone else's phone calls and he didn't want that. He would try to come over late at night when I had already told him that I didn't want him over at that time or that I was too tired to stay up to hang and would accuse me of cheating on him. :-/ I usually ignored him, but I remember this one time he threw rocks at my windows until I answered my phone and even when i told him I wasn't going to open the door, he got a hold of my roomie's contact info and got her to open the outside door and our apt door which allowed him to come pounding on my bedroom door. Then he would come in and search my closet, my bathroom (the tub) and under my bed for the other guy that was supposedly hiding in my room. LOL...now that I think of it, it's funny, but this was so real. I called him to end things with him and he told me pretty much to shut up because he had something to say and yelled at me for 15 minutes and then had the audacity to tell me, now you talk. I remember saying, "Well, I just called you to tell you that I'm done. I don't want to do this anymore." It came out easily. I was not sweating any bullets...after all, I had ended it at another point sooner, but I think I decided to give him another chance or something. Huge waste of time. Needless to say, he went into a rage about how i'm giving up and blah, blah, blah. I asked him if he was finished and disconencted the call. I was also at work. I had just had enough. Granted, I could go toe to toe in an argument with someone, but why waste my energy on that.

I shared all this to say that if this was a generational curse, it may have been extremely difficult to move away from that situation. You may be suffering in a similar situation so this post may be just for you. But also remember that not because something is a generational curse means you must tolerate ignorance, abuse or any other negative behavior from someone else or engage in negative behaviors because you're comfortable living that life. Always remember that Jesus Christ can renew your hearts and minds and is greater than any generational curse that may have been brought on you as a result of your family. Allow Him to give you the victory over your issues. Turn it all over to Him. Your mind will thank you later. It's definitely not worth the stress...you are worth much more than that!

Even in doing so, you can be an effortless woman. That strength you receive from up above can make your words come out with ease and guide your actions with ease. A mind is a terrible thing to waste on foolishness. Be a better you starting right now. MuAh & CiAo!

No comments:

Post a Comment