Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Twist Out or NOT to Twist Out...that is the question

In a previous post I mentioned dew point. I've written about this before, but this is such an important thing to note when wearing your hair out. Lots of women are doing wash and gos. But for those of us who experience severe shrinkage and actually do enjoy wearing a full natural fro, wash and gos don't quite work for us, so we use twist outs or braid outs.

I have a mixture of 3c/4a hair...my kitchen (hair at the nape of my neck) is actually quite fine and even around the edges of my hairline. My curl pattern there is much looser and thus is reflective of a 4a curl pattern.

In this picture, you can see that my hair looks more wavy but with my hair wet, it is a very loose curl pattern. Now, as you get closer to the center of my head, my hair becomes more coarse and the curls become tighter thus more reflective of 4a hair. It is somewhat annoying to have this variety of curl patterns because how i de-tangle my hair changes the tighter my curls becomes. We know the tighter the curls, the more gentle you must be with the de-tangling process.

So quick facts about dew point:

1. The more moisture exists in the air, the more moisture your hair will retain and less moisturizing products you may need. (humectants)
2. The fine line for perfect dew point for your hair is determined by your hair porosity and your hair type.
3. The lower your porosity, the more moisture your hair will need and your hair can tolerate a higher dew point.
4. Perfect dew point for my curly hair look is typically between 50-60. I have low to normal porosity. If I want to wear my hair straight/pressed, my hair needs less moisture and thus 40-45 dew point is great. ( I press my hair more in the winter because the dew point is typically low, but for a pressed style, I do not need much moisture

N (humectant use) = Hair style/Hair Type (straight/pressed, wavy or curly) + hair porosity (low, normal, high) +dew point.

THIS SOLVES PERFECT HAIR

Conclusion: Regardless of the weather outside, it is truly in fact the dew point that affects your twists out (keep in mind this changes depending on what moisture level your hair starts - so a wash n go where there is a lot of moisture, your hair may be less affected by there being more moisture in the air - if your hair is fully dried, too much moisture will lead to puffy twists outs aka less defined twist outs) Dew point above 60 typically creates this soggy feel to my hair for me as I generally keep my hair very moisturized.


To check the dew point for today, check out your local weather channel. OR use this link daily. Don't take this too lightly as too much moisture leads to extremely soft and frumpy hair and not enough moisture leads to breakage/splitting of hair strands and brittle hair.

If dew point is too high or too low, protect your hair on the fly with a nice wrap, scarf, single twist style or a wig. Trust me, your hair and scalp will thank you later. MuAh & CiAo!

No comments:

Post a Comment