Monday, October 29, 2018

How To Moisturize Box Braids





Hola! Finally, a hair post! LOL. Yes, long overdue. I have actually had this queued up for a few weeks, but wanted to get some other information out to you.


First things first.

If your hair is permed straight or if your hair was in it's most natural state when you had your hair braided, then this method is for you. (stretched natural hair through the banding method is fine as well)

*** Do not use this method if you pressed your hair before you braided it or you braided it on an old press. Adding moisture directly to hair may cause frizzing and that is not hot ***

Here are the steps I use:

  1. Spray Leave-in Conditioner directly on hair & gently spread leave in to the tips of box braids
  2. Use a sealant oil and apply to braids from root to tip. ( sealant oils I generally use: jojoba oil, sweet almond oil or coconut oil)
  3. Clip any frayed ends sticking out of braids
  4. Completely cover braids with satin wrap overnight or after moisturizing to minimize frays.

*** In the event you did press your hair, you can moisturize your scalp by spritzing scalp lightly with the Liquid agent and then use the sealant oil that works best for you ***

I have low porosity hair, so I get a lot of build-up on my scalp, but I would rather have moisturized hair that do not break while I wear my box braided style than to have hair coming out in the wads (due to breakage and not normal shedding) when it's time for me to remove the braids. To clean your scalp, use a wet paper towel to wipe away build-up. You would want to do this a few hours after you moisturize your hair to allow for any additional residue to make it to your scalp. This will be done to reduce cleaning your scalp repeatedly during the moisturizing process.



A. Black Spray Bottle - 1/4 part vegetable glycerine, 3.4 water/ few drops of essential oil (rosemary is today;s choice)

B. Wild Growth Hair Oil - use for hair growth (not necessary part of moisturizing process, but what I also used this time around as well)

C. Black Castor Oil - or any carrier oil that moisturizes your natural hair well (I used the castor oil since I have braids.)

My hair/scalp after my moisturizing process. The base of the braids are still in tact and this was after 4 weeks of moisturizing every few days. These braids are out now, but the moisturizing definitely helped especially since I didn't wash the yaki hair before I used it and because the humidity was extremely low with the change of warm to cold weather.

Feel free to leave any questions or messages below. Thanks much! Muah & Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment